Sunday, September 11, 2011

Whew!

Crap, what a ride the last two weeks have been. Everybody fell behind at work, so I've been working 12 hour days and a Saturday shift to help get everyone caught up. We have a turnaround time of 5-7 business days that we're contractually obligated to keep, and we weren't sticking to it. There's been sort of a ridiculous upswing in requests for medical records because of the beginning of the school year, and it piled up.

That was tough. I've been exhausted, I started getting sick, developed a cough and some crazy fatigue, but I pressed through it and came out the other side only slightly worse for wear. Then, on Thursday, just as I was rising to the top of my giant pile of work, Emma got sick at school, and I had to miss work to stay home with her. Mother co-oped with me so I only missed one day instead of two (which my boss appreciated openly), but then on Friday, Papaw had me take him to the ER.

His heart rate had dropped perilously low and stayed there, he felt unreasonably exhausted, and couldn't catch his breath. He was convinced that it was time for him to die. Turns out they just had him on too high a dose of amiodarone, and he had to spend a couple of nights in the hospital until his doctors decided that he was safe to send home. But, this is the second time he's had this sort of heart trouble, and while he's fine now, I'm afraid that pacemaker surgery might be lurking around the corner.

Speaking of around the corner, Emma is three in 10 days, and I can hardly believe it. I swear I was just putting things together for her second birthday a couple of months ago. Last year, we had her party at the splash pad, but it's during the height of pop-warner football season, so everything was really crowded, and all of the good picnic areas and parking spots were taken. So this year, since I've put in enough work on the house to feel like it's finally worthy of company, we'll be having her party here.

In the hopes of making life easier on myself, this year instead of hand-making her invitations, I just designed the image and sent them to the printer. Dude. If you have a professional printing company in your town, and are in need of birthday invitations, I highly recommend using them. I send the image, the wording for the inside, and the font file that I wanted, told them how many I wanted (30), and when I needed them by and 12 dollars later, I had my invitations. Worth it.

What do they look like, you say? Why, like this:


Adorable, and only slightly soul-less.
I've done my test cakes, and Emma will be having a white vanilla cake with cream cheese icing, and strawberry mousse between the layers. Even though we're doing it at home this year, I don't feel the need to hassle with a fussy, tiered cake. Those take forever and are so stressful to pull together when I've got a bunch of other stuff to take care of. So this time, I'm just going to do a sheet cake with a simple scallop edging in icing, and these little guys in gum paste, dusted with pearl powder in the middle. I can work on the gum paste over a series of evenings and really fuss around with it.

The only problem I'm facing now is wtf to do with a room full of three year olds for 2 and a half hours.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I might have some suggestions for you, and some questions.

Are you going to feed them food plus cake?

Have you asked that at least 1 parent stay the entire party?

Have you asked or thought about asking another parent to be your "little helper"? I think this will be important to help you keep it organized and not get too frazzled.

My suggestion for games is you write a bunch of them on index cards, all the rules and any materials needed. I did some for my daughter's 6th birthday party, some are too old but there are some you may be able to do with 3 yr olds. I can write them down if you want.

Kelly

Post a Comment