Sunday, August 21, 2011

I'm running out of clever post titles

You know, sometimes those things come easy, and other times, not so much.

First of all, the skinny on the new job. It seems to be going well, though at times I'm convinced that I'm doing everything wrong and any minute now, they're going to figure out that I have no idea what I'm doing and can me. Then, Chelsy will ask me to do a quick project for her because I'm fast and not as behind as some of the other girls, and I feel better. She's checking my work every day, so she knows what I'm doing, and I don't seem to be making any huge fuck ups. So, there's that.

Now, on to the subject of New Guy. He's not as nice to talk about right now, because things have gone and made themselves complicated. I think the last time I mentioned him was about 2 weeks ago, the day before Clan Bitchface descended on the household. Well, I talked to him on Friday, and when I told him I'd gotten the job, he was appropriately stoked. Then, on Saturday, he started acting weird. He wasn't as chatty as he has been, and he was starting to question the meteor shower date. His main concern: it was a 45 minute drive to my place, and he'd never "dated" anyone before.

On Sunday, he didn't answer the two texts I sent him. On Monday, we talked for about 20 minutes before I went to bed, but he was distracted and not really talkative or interested in anything I had to say. On Tuesday, I cancelled our date. Yeah, I did it via text, which was a little tacky, but I don't have any interest in being jerked around. And I was nice about it. "I'm going to do us both a favor and cancel Saturday night." I got no answer from him.

In fact, I didn't hear a breath of a word from him for two weeks. Then, on Friday morning, I get a random text asking me how work was going, and did I want to give him a call at lunch time. My curiosity got the best of me. I don't really care whether or not he and I date, but I do care if I still have a friend, so I called him. And we talked for the majority of my lunch break. Here's what I learned: He got cold feet, because he likes me, but I live farther away from him than he thinks is wise. If we got together, he felt like we wouldn't see enough of each other.

To be honest, I don't really know what to do with this information. I wasn't married to the idea of us dating - though I wouldn't have resisted if it had gone down that road. But I do miss having a friend that's in my same area code, so I told him that he needed to relax and just let things happen if they're going to happen. I proposed meeting for coffee, and at first he was good with the idea, but by the end of the phone call, he seemed very noncommittal. So, meh. We'll see what happens. Wishy-washy is not my bag, and its p[art of the reason I've stayed single for so long. I can barely deal with my own indecision, let alone someone else's.

Tuesday is my birthday. I'll be 31. In 9 more years, I'll begin to age backward.

7 comments:

lori said...

hmm. i started aging backward three years ago..

i'm sure you don't need to hear this - but if you take anything at all away from this, take this - if he can't commit to meeting for coffee, forget him committing to anything else -anything at all. its always helpful if you meet and have common interests with someone that wants to grow old with you (whatever it takes), not someone who can't go 45 minutes out of his way for you... congrats on the job. you're one strong, smart cookie! bravo!

Shekky the Great said...

Hey hon,

That all sounds really positive about the job. If you're nervous, have you asked about reviews? Maybe you could ask for a sit-down every other week or so to get a little feedback. Nothing major, just 20 min of "how's it hanging". That way if there are any little things that could improve she's got a designated time to brng them up, and you get some extra confidence knowing what's up. Just a thought....

The boy is stupid. You have had more than your fair share of stupid boys. On behalf of what remains of your sanity, and Emma I veto him! However, witty text messages should not be under-rated. Encourage him to be your local "pen pal" to keep each other amused.

As for Tuesday well, just remember you'll never be as old as me ;). Your pressie from me has gotten.... delayed... so I may have to let the Monkey go all Amazon. Email me your address pls.

We love you! And we're really proud of you!

--

Valerie said...

I'm definitely not losing any sleep over the Boy situation. It'll either work itself out or not. It's a little bit saddening, because he seemed like such a cool dude (Can I just say: he has a Boba Fett tattoo. I wear a Boba Fett watch every single day, with every single outfit. I really thought it was kismet), but there's nothing cool about being a douchebag. I don't care how cute you are.

I'm not really all that concerned with the job performance. I know I'm doing well, it's just my normal job-start anxiety.

lori said...

yup.

bravo!

Lucy's Shadow said...

Happy birthday!

Shekky the Great said...

BTW, LOVE LOVE LOVE the frog on Pinterest, oh and thought you would approve of what we're getting the adorable nephew for Xmas:

http://iheartguts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=143

I think its the spleen that did it for me...

lori said...

happy birthday! bravo!

Post a Comment